Thursday, July 26, 2012

Made It: Brass Fastener Clutch

Materials I used:
vinyl
grid/template I made on the computer
tape/duck tape
box cutter/exacto knife
old magazine
hammer (optional)
fabric (lining)
zipper

1 I used a rectangular piece of vinyl folded in half.  There will be a front and a back.  Honestly I found this piece in the remnants section at my local JoAnn Fabrics.  I'm sure you can use whatever type of sturdy material you'd like to use.

2  Made sure that my grid/table was centrally located on the top side of my folded vinyl.  This is the front part of my clutch.

3  To make sure that my grid/table didn't move around I put some duck tape to keep it in place.  

4  I put my old magazine inside my folded vinyl to make sure that I only punctured through the front part.  Then, I started poking through where the lines intersected.  Side note:  Make sure that you have enough brass fasteners for your grid or else you'll have a problem later.
5  After puncturing the vinyl with the box cutter, it was easier to put the brass fastener.

6  I checked the "wrong" side of the material to make sure that the brass fastener went 

7  After putting through all of the fasteners, I lined them up horizontally

8  I also made sure that the back of the fasteners were flat with a small hammer.  Remember to use an old magazine on the underside of the material.  

9  Time to flip it back to the front part of the bag and take the grid and tape off!! 

10  Once the paper and tape are off then I sewed it into a clutch with lining and zipper.

Finished product completed.
Perfect for the essentials for a night out on the town!



8 comments:

Courtney Erin said...

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, I would love to pay you to make me one of these. Name your price! I'm planning on wearing the leopard clutch you made me today (still head over heels with that thing).

Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

LyddieGal said...

Ohhh that is so awesome. and the leopard lining really puts it over the top.
time to start stocking that etsy shop of yours with clutches...

Anthonette said...

Great tutorial! The bag looks very high-end.

Eli said...

This is an awesome DIY!! It looks so fancy and professional! I've seen scraps of leather at some stores, I'm sure you could do one with real leather too, oh the possibilities!!

Monica said...

What a genius idea! Great job Christine!

Anonymous said...

This is SO great! Perfectly cute & edgy at the same time.

xo,
Hannah
www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is so cool, i never would that guessed what the studs were. I want one too! Definitely going to try this DIY.

Unknown said...

Great idea, ha I thought it was a way of making a simple circuit from the thumbnail, reckon it could be padded to make the effect look even better.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...